The Gewandhaus in Leipzig is the third building to host the famous orchestra; the last one was destroyed in a bombing raid in 1944. It hosts over 600 events per year and attracts an audience of over half a million.
The 1,900-seat, semicircular Great hall, and the beautiful light-flooded foyer form an impressive architectural monument worthy to hold one of the most prestigious orchestras in the world.
In the Great Hall above the large Schuke organ, is the quote "Res severa verum gaudium" ("True pleasure is a serious business"), which has been the motto of the Gewandhaus since 1781.
The Gewandhaus Orchestra is one of the most famous orchestras in the world. It can trace its roots back to 1743, when a society called the Grosses Concert began performing in private homes. The orchestra gave its first concert in the Gewandhaus in 1781.
Today the orchestra not only performs its "Grand Concerts," at the Gewandhaus, but it also accompanies the St Thomas Boys Choir and acts as the official orchestra of the Leipzig Opera.